Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Education is not about filling buckets, it's about starting fires (W.B Yeats)

Who am I as a teacher.......
A work in progress


Teaching Philosophy

As a future secondary school teacher, I believe the purpose of education is to provide students with the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in life while keeping them interested, involved and motivated to learn and develop as individuals and members of the community. I believe to do this I should be continually growing as a teacher and approach all situations with an open mind and positive attitude. I believe I can be a positive influence in helping students to achieve their goals in life through education. My role as a teacher is to provide a safe, supportive, inclusive, engaging and challenging curriculum and environment for all students, preparing them for their future and what lies ahead.

Confusious says, ' I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand'



 


Where I was v Where I am

I am growing and developing as a teacher. I hope I will continue to grow and develop as a teacher throughout my entire career. My expereience through my project partnership is a good demonstration of this. I am fortunate enough to be in the same classes all year which has not only allowed me to get to know the students but also given me the chance to try new things, develop my skills and gain an understanding of what works well in the different classes. Take the year 8 humanities class I have been teaching for example. The very first lesson I took with them was close to a disastor. I had never been in front of a class before, I was nervous and the students picked up on it straight away. The more classes I took the more confident I became. I now know what works in what class. For example, the year 8 class I take does not respond well to small group activities (a mistake I made in my first lesson) but get very involved in class discussions, oral presentations and visual activities. While I am still developing as a teacher I have come a long way since my first day in a school.


No comments:

Post a Comment